Sunday, October 7, 2012

It is no secret that I am a huge Batman fan. It started when Michael Keaton starred as Batman in the former franchise adaptations, and I saw each subsequent film (yes, even the one with Val Kilmer) in the theater. I was lukewarm about Christian Bale and even more tepid about Katie Holmes, so I skipped Batman Begins at the theater and watched it on DVD. One of the best vacations I ever took was to Seattle, Washington, with my husband. On a whim, we went to see The Dark Knight at the science museum's IMAX theater. Granted, the film had long-since been out of main stream theaters but was still playing to an enthusiastic crowd of local Batman fans. I will never forget the experience. The scene in which Batman beats the stuffing out of some bad guys in the parking garage, I literally shrieked with delight. Do you know what happened? The theater applauded ME! Embarrassed, I looked around, and people were truly applauding my glee and giving me thumbs-up. I was finally amongst my people. Aside from the costumes, vehicles, and allure of the uber-rich Bruce Wayne, I love Batman's one-liners. In The Dark Knight Rises, I will never tire of the moment Batman interrupts the Joker's torment of Rachel at Harvey Dent's fundraiser. When the Joker says to Rachel, "You've got a little fight in you, I like that," Batman responds, "Then you're gonna love me." Again, in the IMAX theater, I squealed. Approving laughter and grunts from the audience. Which leads me to my assessment of The Dark Knight Rises. I was very slow to get myself to the theater, and decided to watch it alone before I lost my opportunity. It was my first experience seeing a film alone, and it was interestingly pleasant. First, my fellow movie-goers on an early Sunday afternoon in Clovis consisted of two guys (each of them were alone) and two male-female couples. Oh, and me. I sat at the far end of a row with one of the lone dudes, who sat in the middle. I researched the film on-line to find the right moment for a restroom break and bought a small soda. I won't wreck the film with spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it, but if you're super sensitive to that sort of thing, skip what is posted below. I will say that to my surprise, I cried four times. It is no secret that I frequently cry at films, but not when it makes sense to cry. For exmaple, Old Yeller? Didnt cry. Steel Magnolias? Not a tear. Batman?? Boo-hoo City, population 1 (at least in the theater on that day). 1. The first time Batman emerged in costume in all of his superhero splendor, I cried a little. It was really that good. 2. I cried when The Bane pulverized the holy-toledo out of Batman for the first time. I really thought Batman was done for right then and there. 3. More crying when Batman was betrayed in a way that we female Batman fans foam at the mouth over. 4. The almost-end. As I peeled off the napkin that was around my soda to wipe my eyes, I noticed the man in my row looking over at me. He smiled reassuringly. Maybe it was his 30th time watching it and wanted me to keep my spirits up. Maybe he thought I was nuts. Irregardless, it was a nice gesture. I did not appreciate the casting for Catwoman originally, but she was good. Not whom I would've selected, but she fit the bill for what the film was trying to convey. It made this awesome one-liner possible: Catwoman and Batman get into the Batmobile to flee the scene, and Catwoman drolly says, "My mother told me never to get into cars with strange men." Batman says, "This isn't a car." And off they fly. Love it! The Dark Knight Rises was good, and it tied everything up nicely in the end, but it was several clicks down from The Dark Knight. Just give me Batman. Batman in his costume punching the living daylights out of the bad guys. Give me a truly evil, twisted villian (Joker) that makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment